What is alopecia areata ?
Alopecia areata is an auto immune disease of hair that causes hair to fall out in small patches ….. in this disease immune system mistakenly attacks the hair follicle and damage them which can lead to hair loss .
Scalp and beard area is most commonly affected area . it affects both genders .
In most of the cases hair falls out in small and round patches in some cases hair loss is extensive and can lead to total loss of hair from scalp [alopecia totalis ] and in more sevre cases it can lead to complete hair loss from scalp,face and body [alopecia universalis ]
In few cases regrowth of hair may also occur but chances of hair fall is always possible.
Causes of alopecia areata :
- Family history : if there is family history of autoimmune disease your chances of getting alopecia areata is higher than others.
- Constant emotional stress .
- Previous illness like typhoid , tuberculosis ,malaria .
- Excessive usage of chemicals over scalp and hair like …straightening ,dying,perming can lead to damage of hair follicle.
- Any infection or disease of scalp like LPP can also lead to alopecia areata.
- Certain medication like chemotherapeutic medicines
- Alopecia areata initially starts with single small patch and can spread to whole scalp in multiple patches .
- while there are new patches formation some old patches can show new hair growth.
- In advance cases alopecia areata can lead to total scalp hair loss to total body hair loss.
- Other clinical sign include ‘’ exclamation mark “in this format some short hair grow narrower at the bottom grow in and around the edges of the bald spots.
- You may have permanent hair loss if you have family history of same condition , or any other autoimmune disease or allergy, if disease starts at young age .
- Alopecia areata can also lead to Total body hair loss .
- This disease can also lead to poor self confidence , and depression .
Dos and donts of alopecia areata :
- Avoid harsh chemicals like dyes, or
- Avoid excessive use of hair dryer .
- Avoid the stress and stressful surroundings .
- Start meditation and practice yoga to avoid daily stress.
- Always take nutritious diet which is full of minerals and antioxidants .
- Never ignore early symptoms start the treatment earlt to get good results.
Effective medicines for alopecia areata are:
- Natrum mur – this medicine is given when hair fall is more during nursing period and also when hair fall is seen in children. Hair falls out easily i.e. while touching and combing baldness is more visible over forhead ,temple and beard ;Scalp and face of the patient is excessive oily and sweaty ; there is sticky dandruff which is also called seborrhea which makes the hair root vulnerable to fall and most important when there is past history of continuous stress ,grief in patients life . nat mur given when hair fall is more visible around the forhead .
- Phosphorus- this medicine is given when there are bald round patches on head, which are completely deprived of hair ; scalp is dry and scaly. When Hair comes out in bunches ; roots of hair get dry and gray and there is escessive dandruff which falls easily in these symptoms phosphorus works wonderfully. Phos is given when hair fall or bald patches are more around or behind ears ;forhead and occiput . Phos is great medicine for hair fall in infants. This is given when patients complains of handfuls with hair .
- Phosphoric acid—when hair fall is excessive due to general debility or weakness and continuous long term stress this medicine gives good result. Hair of the young persons turn grey .
- Acid flour — this medicine is given when there are small bald patches without any hair And new hair is dry and breaks off easily. When there is profuse ,offensive sweating.
- Sepia –sepia is wonder full remedy in alopecia areata especially when bald patches comes in climacteric period in females or after delievery or parturition. This remedy works more effectively on nervous or hysterical females.